In December 2015, All Stars Helping Kids Board Members, Staff and Grantees celebrated the first graduates from our three-year grantee cohort program, which provides growing nonprofits with three years of focused mentorship and training. Our 2015 graduates include:
- Alpha Public Schools, a public charter school that works toward decreasing the achievement gap between low- and high-income students.
- One Degree, an online social services resource that decreases the connection gap for youth and families.
- Upward Roots, a service learning organization that provides opportunities for elementary and middle school students to serve their communities.
- Wishbone, an online platform that provides after-school and summer programs for at-risk youth via crowd-sourced funding.
During the cohort program, these young organizations added many practical skills to their toolkit, including marketing and grant expertise, fundraising savvy, working with board members, strategic planning, and using metrics to measure their impact and outcomes.
The event also recognized our current grantees who are in their second year of the cohort program:
- Camp Phoenix, a camp that serves Oakland middle school students by preventing “summer slide” through community building, personal development and joyful academics.
- Mindful Life Project, which improves academics and social-emotional skills for elementary and middle-school students through mindfulness, yoga, art therapy and music therapy.
- Game Theory Academy, which teaches financial literacy and MBA economics to Oakland’s hardest-to-reach teens.
All Stars Helping Kids also introduced our newest class of grantees which began the three-year mentorship program this year:
- 2GenEquityempowers mothers with the skills, resources, confidence and courage to implement positive decisions for their families that incite self-sufficiency.
- Hidden Genius Projecttrains and mentors black male youth in technology creation, entrepreneurship and leadership skills to transform their lives and communities.
- Oakland Lacrosse Clubpromotes physical and mental growth, increasing opportunities and highlighting positive images and connections through the sport of lacrosse.
- Youth SEEDprovides training, resources and investment to young innovators who traditionally face barriers to economic opportunities.
All Stars Helping Kids applauds the innovation and commitment that each one of our grantees demonstrates through their work, and we are grateful for the opportunity to partner with organizations that make a real difference in the lives of our Bay Area youth.